Are you interested in the seemingly easy magic of contouring but can’t figure it out, no matter how many YouTube videos you watch? Look no further because Tata Harper has got you covered. The company, which sells skincare and cosmetics, uses naturally derived ingredients and does not contain synthetic and/or toxic additives. Tata Harper does not outsource their manufacturing; these cruelty-free products are produced in small batches in their laboratories in Vermont. Additionally, the company states that they rely on concentrated dosages of ingredients. In contrast to other companies that use 1-3 active ingredients, Tata Harper uses 9-29 ingredients. In 2011, the company was certified as organic from the Vermont Organic Farmers Association for herb production. To view a full list of Tata Harper’s certifications, visit their namesake website.
The contour and highlight kit ($77) provides an accessible, fuss-free way to achieve the look you want without layers and layers of makeup. The kit consists of the following: Very Illuminating highlighter, Very Bronzing bronzer, samples of Very Charming Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint ($35), Very Nice Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint ($35), the Brightening & Exfoliating Treatment ($75), and the Resurfacing Mask ($55). The bronzer, highlighter, and tints are not powder based, but cream based, which allows for an easier application and blending process. Although you can use a brush, I found that it was easier to apply with my fingers. The kit comes with a step-by-step guide, which includes pictures. The directions aren’t hard to follow and break down each step effectively.
To contour and highlight, follow this suggested procedure:
- Using a brush or your fingertips, lightly apply the highlighter under the eye with gentle sweeping motions. Blend along the cheekbones into the temples.
- Next, draw a line from earlobe to lip area and blend. Also, apply around the nose to fill in any shadows and redness.
- To give the face a lit-from-within look, create an upside-down triangle starting between the eyebrows and blend upward and outward into the forehead. Then, create a line of highlighter down the entire bridge of your nose, blending lightly.
- For an added brightening effect, add highlighter to the cupid’s bow, to the center of the chin, and to the brow bone. Blend well.
- To chisel the cheekbones, create a thick bronze line down the hollow of the cheek starting at the bottom of the earlobe and extend down in the direction of the corner of the mouth (but do not cross the boundary of the laugh line).
- To slenderize the face, create a shadow of bronze at the top of the forehead along the hairline and blend in.
- Sculpt the jawline by starting where the cheek and earlobe meet and shade down the edge of the jawbone all the way down to the chin area. Repeat on the other side. Then create sweeping strokes downward along the neck to create depth and define the shape of your face.
- Last, create two straight, parallel bronze lines on each side of the nose starting at the inner corner of the eyebrow and continuing down to the end of your nose. Blend gently on each side ensuring that you keep the symmetry of the lines in place.
- Be sure skin is freshly exfoliated to ensure the best and smoothest application.
- For drier skin types, be sure to moisturize before applying for best results.
One of the biggest assets of this kit is that it produces a subtler, less harsh form of contouring. It definitely makes the process less intimidating for makeup users that prefer to streamlined tutorials and minimalist routines. I like the fact that the kit gives my complexion a dewy glow without appearing flattened. It adds soft angles to my features without having to drawn as many lines as a Picasso painting.
To check out their stockist, visit TataHarperSkincare.com.
Latest posts by Vanessa Willoughby (see all)
- The 20 Best Halloween Movies EVER - October 23, 2019
- 23 Answers To “Why Are You Still Single?” That Aren’t A Slap in the Face - June 21, 2017
- Fact or Fiction: Do These Beauty Tools Actually Work? - May 19, 2016