Happy Labor Day, Darlings! Today is dedicated to you, the ever-patient fast food worker, the friendly cashier, the attentive secretary, the dedicated welder, the diligent carpenter, and all the other hard workers, past and present. Labor Day became a national holiday on June 28, 1894 and is celebrated on the first Monday of September. While it’s unclear who the first person was to propose special recognition for workers in the United States, we all benefit from that good idea from over a century ago.
Labor Day is now celebrated with parades, picnics, and barbecues. So, in honor of Labor Day, in honor of the hardworking men and women of the U.S., we present this cross-generational playlist. It opens with “Vacation” by The Go-Go’s, a perfect anthem to any three-day weekend. This is followed by other 80s hits like Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” and Donna Summer’s “She Works Hard for the Money.” Mixed in with these are some contemporary songs like Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Run Away With Me” and “She’s Kinda Hot” by 5 Seconds of Summer.
Happy Labor Day again, Darlings! Have some fun. You’ve earned it.
- “Vacation” by The Go-Go’s, “Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go’s.”
- “Girls Just Want to Have Fun” by Cyndi Lauper, “She’s So Unusual.”
- “Run Away With Me” by Carly Rae Jepsen, “Emotion.”
- “Summertime Sadness [Lana Del Rey vs. Cedric Gervais]-Cedric Gervais Remix” by Lana Del Rey.
- “#SELFIE” by The Chainsmokers, “#SELFIE.”
- “She Works Hard For The Money” by Donna Summer, “She Works Hard For The Money.”
- “Bills, Bills, Bills” by Destiny’s Child, “The Writing’s On The Wall.”
- “No Scrubs” by TLC, “Fanmail.”
- “Working For The Weekend” by Loverboy, “We Are The ‘80s.”
- “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard, “Pour Some Sugar On Me.”
- “Manic Monday” by The Bangles, “Different Light.”
- “Money Honey” by Lady Gaga, “The Fame.”
- “She’s Kinda Hot” by 5 Seconds of Summer, “She’s Kinda Hot.”
- “Uma Thurman” by Fall Out Boy, “American Beauty/American Psycho.”
- Saying I’m Fat Is Just Being Honest About My Weight - May 17, 2017
- What A Wall Means For South Texas - February 15, 2017
- “Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis:” A Spellbinding Story That Breaks Conventions - February 13, 2017